Turkey Sausage and Shrimp Paella
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 12 ounces chopped low-fat smoked turkey sausage into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups chopped yellow or white onions
- 3-4 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil chopped
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ teaspoon Hungarian or smoked paprika
- 4 cups (approximately) chicken broth
- 1 & ½ cups medium to long grain white rice
- 1 pound raw peeled & deveined medium shrimp
- ½ cup diced celery
Preparation-This only takes about an hour to prepare, utilizing long grain Jasmine rice, versus the traditional Arborio rice, which takes much longer to cook, and requires more liquid. I find the Jasmine rice gives the Paella a fluffier texture anyway. The substitution of low fat turkey smoked sausage, over chorizo or another beef sausage makes for a lower fat version.
- Heat a third of oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add smoked turkey sausage, and sauté until sausage has a nice golden brown crust/color. Remove and set aside. Add another third of the oil, heat and add garlic, and onions, and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- In a large pot, add broth, and stir in saffron and paprika, tomato paste, rosemary, and basil. Bring to boil, and remove from heat. In the last third of the olive oil, heat and add rice, sauté until golden brown. Add back in veggies, peas, and add three cups of broth. Cover and reduce heat to low. Retail remaining broth if rice needs additional liquid added as it cooks without stirring (about 15 minutes till light and fluffy). Add shrimp, and sausage to rice, and cook for about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.