Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Danish Treat....

First, I am going to start out by saying, I wouldn't consider myself to be a baker. I mostly work on non-baked and dessert items. Lately however, I have been deviating from the norm, and with our house guests coming tomorrow, I wanted to try my hand at something new. I have been working on adapting a recipe by Dixie Elliott, which is in metric rather than U.S. measurements. You have to complete the recipe over two days, so there is a part #1 and part #2. I'm excited to see if the changes I made are going to pan out...wish me luck...

**I did the first part yesterday, and will be doing part #2 of the recipe later today!


Two things I LOVE!! Traditionally, these pastries have Raspberry jam, but I wanted to change it up bit....

Whoahhhh, thatsa lota butta..........



Danish pastry Dough


**This is part #1 of your recipe to be done on the first day:

2 & 3/4 cups plain flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground Cardamom

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 & ¼ cup butter, well chilled and cut into tablespoon size pieces

3/4 cup milk

1 package (7g) dry yeast

1/3 cup white sugar

1 egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten


1 Put flour, salt, cardamom and nutmeg into the large bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds to combine. Add butter and pulse until butter in chopped into teaspoon size pieces. The butter should not be fine, but chunky. This is what gives the pastry the flaky layers. Pour into a large bowl.



2 Heat milk until very warm, but not boiling. Pour milk into a zip lock storage container, or a container that will seal tightly that you can shake. Add yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Shake well until combined. Leave in a warm place for 5-10 minutes or until frothy and bubbly. Add remaining sugar to flour/butter mixture. Stir gently until combined.



3 Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add frothy yeast mixture and egg. Stir gently to combine. Take care not to break up butter. When just combined, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. The dough must rest in the refrigerator overnight. The next day-move to your recipe part #2.

Part #2 to follow later today....

**Adapted from an original Dixie Elliott recipe








No comments:

Post a Comment