Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken-Mushroom Stroganoff

I think everyone has heard me say that my hubby doesn't eat red meat or pork. That still leaves a lot of options for me to cook for dinner, even by eliminating it from our diets. There are so many other options, I find that I rarely miss it.

If I ever do, I may order a steak when we go out, or since we are in Bison country, possibly a spicy Bison burger. That usually satisfies my temporary craving, & I can go back to a seafood, chicken, & fish diet....which by the way, is quite delicious!

One of his favorites is egg noodles, with stroganoff. I replaced the red meat for chicken, and it still hits the spot!



Chicken-Mushroom Stroganoff



Ingredients:

1 pound Chicken breasts-cubed

3 cups chicken broth

3-4 cloves fresh Garlic-minced

1 yellow Onion-diced

2 tablespoons Butter

½ cup red Wine

4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour

1 & ½ cup low-fat Sour Cream

1 pound Mushrooms-washed & sliced

½ cup fresh Italian flat leaf Parsley-minced

1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence

1-2 large sprigs fresh Rosemary

Salt & Pepper to taste

Olive Oil (for sautéing chicken)



Directions:

In a large pot, heat olive oil & sauté onions & garlic. Add herbs. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, & onions are clear in color. Add chicken, & cook for about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, spices, chicken broth, and stir well. Simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes.



In a small frying pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms & a pinch of salt. Sauté & toss frequently until the edges of the mushrooms caramelize & have a golden brown color. Add to pot with chicken.



In a glass, add wine & flour. Mix well to remove any lumps. Add to chicken, mixing well. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, as the sauce thickens. Mix in sour cream, and then remove from heat. I served my stroganoff over the top of buttered homemade egg noodles.


**Recipe for homemade Egg pasta to follow!












6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for the homemade noodle recipe. I have only had beef stroganoff but the chicken version sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I adore making my own pasta! It makes every dish taste so much fresher and delicious! I don't eat pork or red meat, like your husband, and so I am always adapting recipes to get some protein in there. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds yummy! I think I would like this better than the beef version, personally. And for a woman who's a major carnivore, that's saying something

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I rarely eat red meat, so this is a great alternative =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful - I love that there are no canned soups involved!

    ReplyDelete