This mac n cheese is made with a basic milk, flour and cheese bechamel. It delivers a creamier and more consistent texture, and allows your cauliflower to mesh into the pasta better. Enjoy!
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups blanched diced Cauliflower (1 head)
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Yellow Onion-diced
- ½ cup Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted Butter, room temperature, divided
- 5 tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 2 cups whole Milk
- Salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 1 cup Grated Asiago cheese
- 1 & ½ cups grated white/yellow cheese blend
- 1 cup (packed) coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella
- 8 ounces spiral Pasta
- Mince garlic, and yellow onion, sautéing over medium heat with butter. Add flour, making a roux. Add milk, & mix consistently, until all lumps are gone, and roux is silky and smooth. Continue to cook over medium heat until sauce starts to thicken. Turn off heat & add Asiago, Mozzarella, & ½ cup cheese blend. Season to taste with salt, paprika and pepper.
- Heat a large pot of water, and a pinch of salt until it reaches a rolling boil. Wash and chop cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Blanch for 2-3 minutes, then immediately remove, and place into cold water and a strainer. Drain and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions on box, drain, rinse & set aside.
- Toast panko in skillet over medium-high heat until golden, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cool to lukewarm. Rub 1 tablespoon butter into crumbs to coat. Mix in 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter large baking dish, then spoon pasta into dish. Stir sauce, remaining cheese & cauliflower into pasta. Sprinkle with crumb topping, and more grated cheese.
- Bake pasta until topping is crisp and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve.